Reply to this topicStart new topic
> decor, decorating ideas for a Cuban themed part
inthekeys
post Aug 23 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Hi
I am planning a 40th birthday party for a friend. We are in Pennsylvania and the party will be in October under a tent (complete with heating). Can anyone offer ideas on how we should decorate (other than what is listed)?

Much appreciated!

QUOTE (victoria @ Jul 23 2005, 06:42 PM)
I see a tremendous number of hits to this particular e-mail and yes, Cuban-themed parties are HOT.

I live in Miami so it is easy to get many things here that are related.  I do have some suggestions for all who might read this going forward. 
Here are some suggestions:  Domino theme -  Black and white table setting, i.e., contrasting tablecloth/napkins, with dominos thrown about can be an attractive way of decorating. 
You can also have a domino tournament for fun.  Another great game to play is one that is called "Mentirosa" and I am sure you will come accross it looking through the internet.  It is probably approx. $40.00 but I guarantee once you learn how to play it, you'll be hooked.  Its a dice game with a lot of "bluffing", and a lot of fun!
There is a Cuban store in Miami called Sentir Cubano and they have a website and they also have a  web "Cuban Market", where you can literally order food items, cuban groceries, gift baskets, and many other products, including, the music you will need for your party, etc.. 
If you can get areca palms at your local Home Depot, do so and place lots of them everywhere; they look charming with white Christmas lights on them,too.
You can also dress your buffet table with khaki-color burlap for a very cuban look and get cuban coffee (demitasse) cups and place tea candles in them, with coffee beans thrown about as decoration. 
Also, look up maracas and purchase plastic maracas at a party favor place,  people love to participate in the music and dancing. 
If you can find banana leaves, even in plastic or silk from a local store such as Linen & things, use them as place mats or chargers under your plates or platters. 
Cubans also enjoy pork rinds and banana chips that you can serve with drinks as munchies. 
Flan is a must recipe for your desert.  Try it with a spoon of dulce de coco over it (its shredded coconut in heavy syrup that I am sure you can get through the cuban food market I mentioned through www.sentircubano.com.  OR, you can make a cheesecake and top it with guava mermelade, also through same site, hopefully.
Cubans also make little rolls of a slice of sweet ham with swiss cheese in it and top off with a stuffed olive and toothpick as appetizers. 
I think if someone out there wants to know more you need to tell us where you are and what type of access you might have to Cuban markets or restaurants so we can make further suggestions.

Hope these "off-the-cuff" ideas helped.  As I think of more, I'll post them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Aug 25 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

You didn't say if the party was for a man or woman?
Daytime or night?
How many people invited?

Do you have a theme or are you hunting for a theme?

There are many suggestions that Victoria gave, but the imagination is the limit for themes.

You can chose it from a movie, or a poster, or even from a type of music.

Your menu, decor, music......... should depend on the theme chosen. Once you chose a theme, the rest should fall into place

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Site by restaurant website design