Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Receta de Chiviricos y Churros?, Cuban Snack pastries
RafaelG54
post Aug 1 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96

I used to make both. In the 60's, I made a churro press out of a coffee can and cooked/fried them for everyone in my family. However, the cook book has been lost (brought from Cuba by my mother on the "Freedom Flights"). I have not made both of these authentic Cuban Culture snacks since then; ~'68-'70's. I have searched the WEB intensively with no results. Does anyone remember the recipe for Chiviricos and Churros? I used to walk with my father in the Vedado, Calle 12th & 23rd ( Doce y veinte y tres) and had Fritas con Churros de postre.

Best,

Rafael
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Aug 2 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Hola Rafael;

I couldn't find ANYTHING for chiviricos (wow...that took me back in time..I haven't heard that word in ages!) but I found a recipe for Churros in the Cocina Criolla Cookbook by Nitza Villapol.

CHURROS

1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
oil for frying
sugar for dusting

Mix the milk, water, butter and salt in a saucepan and heat until it breaks into a rolling boil. Add the flour all at once, take off the heat and beat vigorously until the douch is pliable and soft.

Place the dough in the "churrera" and fry the churros en very hot oil (390o F)

Yields approximately 15 churros biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post
RafaelG54
post Aug 2 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (foodiesleuth @ Aug 2 2005, 02:39 PM)
Hola Rafael;

I couldn't find  ANYTHING for chiviricos (wow...that took me back in time..I haven't heard that word in ages!) but I found a recipe for Churros in the Cocina Criolla Cookbook by Nitza Villapol.

CHURROS

1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
oil for frying
sugar for dusting

Mix the milk, water, butter and salt in a saucepan and heat until it breaks into a rolling boil.  Add the flour all at once, take off the heat and beat vigorously until the douch is pliable and soft.

Place the dough in the "churrera" and fry the churros en very hot oil (390o F)

Yields approximately 15 churros  biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RafaelG54
post Aug 2 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Thank You so much!!!
I believe that it has become so comercialized to the extent that no one has the recipe posted anywhere. Maybe I'll find the book... and I will post it here. I won't tell my mother that the recipe came from Nitza.... As she would say" Nitza Villapol? Esa Comunista!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Best Regards,

Rafael Gonzalez

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Aug 3 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But Nitza is still the Cuban Julia Child...regardless of political feelings :-(.....in fact....she was "a Julia" before Julia ever thought of being linked to the food world...

Nitza's books are still the "Bible" for new cooks.....and amazingly, her books are still being given as wedding presents to new brides....

Good, solid recipes that work every time......Eons ago, when I was one of those young brides..I got my first copy as a shower gift. Had to leave it behind when I came to the States, but was given another copy back in the 60's by my brother-in-law for a birthday gift. That copy burned in a fire that destroyed our home in summer 2000, so I was given yet another copy by a dear friend that has since died......So in my lifetime I've had three copies of this cookbook.......and I still use it!

rolleyes.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post
RafaelG54
post Aug 4 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #6

Absolutely!!! Food has no political aligments. Thank God!!! Very informative forum... Thank You
Best Regards,

Rafael G.

+Quote Post
Dali
post Feb 12 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 160

Rafael, I don't know if you will see this, but chiviricos is nothein else than:

"masa para empanadas, (según la receta básica). Córtala en tiritas. Fríelas en aceite caliente. Sírvelos polvoreados con azúcar."

I remember my mother doing them, and then I do it to my sons. Now I guess I will be doing them fo my grandson as soon as he learns to chew.

Also if in a rush, try a Philsbury dough and even does not taste the same...you will enjoy them. If you take the individual ones and put your finger through the middle, you can do doughnuts, just fry them and sprinkle with sugar, powder sugar, frosting....chocolate, mermelada de guayaba....you name it!

Another idea: wrap cocktail sausages or hot dogs...great appetizer!

Hope this was of some help.

Dali

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 08:06 AM

Site by restaurant website design