Archived
post Nov 2 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #1

Archived Q&A

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Beth
Hi from San Diego.
I have been enjoying the recipes from the Taste of Cuba website.
I need a good recipe for Cuban bread pudding. The Diplomatic Bread Pudding on the website is not the same as I have had.

Anyone have a different one? My honey is Cuban and I would love to surprise him with it.
Thanks,
Beth

How about this one? This recipe is from a little cookbook titled "Secrets of Cuban Entertaining" 1981- self-published by three friends who tried all of each others recipes and settled on the one they thought was the best. Authors: Rocio LaMadriz, Piedad Robertson and Olga de Zaldo

PUDIN DIPLOMATICO
2 cups whole milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 lime rind
6 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons apricot brandy
1 cup fruit cocktail, drained
4 1/2"slices of pound cake (or enough to cover mold)

1 1 quart rectangular mold

Bring milk with cinnamon and lime rind to boil. Let cool. Beat eggs with sugar, vanilla, salt and brandy.

Add strained milk and mix well. Pour into (the previously) caramelized mold over fruit cocktail (drained) When fruit appears to float over surface, place slices of pound cake over so as to cover mold completely.

Place in pan of hot water (baine marie) in preheated 350oF oven. Bake for about 1-1/2 hours. Cool before unmolding

Sonia
PS. I have not tried this one

Bob Parker
Bobpall@aol.com

This is an old recipe for Friendship cake and is much
like the Old World Bread Pudding. read through it and be sure to make the starter first. It takes a while but is well woorth the effort and time.

Amish Friendship Cake

First, Prepare the Fruit Mixture:

1-1/2 cups Starter Juice (see Initial Starter recipe below)
1 large can sliced peaches (with juice)
2-1/2 cups sugar

Put peaches, sugar, & starter juice in a wide mouthed gallon jar. Stir once a day for 10 days.

On the 10th day, add:

2- 1/2 cups sugar
1 large can pineapple chunks & juice (1 lb - 4oz can)

Stir for ten days.

On the 20th Day, add:

2 -1/2 cups sugar
1 - 10 ounce jar Marachino cherries & juice
1 large can fruit cocktail & juice. (14-1/2 oz to 15 oz can)

Stir daily for ten days.

On the 30th Day:

Drain liquid from fruit. Divide the juice into 5-6 jars each containing 1-1/2 cups of juice. Give to friends and keep
one for yourself. You friends can now start with the starter you have given them and make the 30-day cake directly.

Divide fruit in thirds. You can freeze 2/3 of the fruit to use later.

Note: When putting fruit or juice in jars, leave jars on the counter & DO NOT REFRIGERATE!! DO NOT PUT LID ON TIGHT, set it on top of jar - loosely! DO NOT PUT JUICE IN THE REFRIGERATOR!

Now, Make the Cake:

Cake 1 yellow cake mix (without pudding in it)
2/3 cup oil
4 eggs
1/3 of the fruit (prepared with the starter above)
1- cup nuts - chopped
1 box vanilla instant pudding.

Mix all ingredients together and bake in a greased Bundt pan at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until done.

Alternate Cake Recipe:

1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
2 cups pecans
3 cups of the fruit mixture

Combine oil and sugar and blend in the eggs. Add dry
ingredients (flour, soda) Fold in the fruit mix. Add pecans and vanilla. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake in bundt pan for about 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 30 min. Check with knife before removing from oven. Freezes well!

Amish Friendship Cake Initial Starter

In a quart glass jar

combine 8 ounces of orange juice preheated to 105-115 degrees.
3 tblsp sugar
1 pkt dry yeast

Cover loosely and place in refrigerators warmest shelf (Usually the top one) for 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let stand overnight on kitchen sink.
Now you have the starter for your first batch, as noted above you will have plenty from now on and not need to go through this proceedure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:25 AM

Site by restaurant website design