Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to cook Lechoncita, In search of a recipe for fav Cuban dish
Naihensey
post Jun 21 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79

Hello!
Does anyone have any idea how to make Lechoncita? My understanding of it is that it's like a pulled pork. What part of the pork is it? What seasonings do I need? How do I cook it?
Thank you!
NaiHensey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Jun 22 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Hola;
I'm not quite sure what you mean by preparing Lechoncita.....the term lechon means pig or pork, lechoncita is a femenine diminutive.

Lechon Asado is the Cuban classic way of roasting a pig, in an open pit or else in a new contraption made especially for roasting the whole pig
http://www.asadorcubano.com/pages/2/index.htm

The Cuban method is traditionally cooking the whole pig, not just parts, though you could roast just parts. For pulled pork, you could even prepare it as you would a Southern BBQ'd pork. What gives Cuban style lechon asado its unique flavor though is that it is basted with a mojo made with sour orange juice and plenty of garlic, oregano and some salt.

If sour oranges are not available in your area you can sub with half orange juice and half lime juice.

If you are planning on not cooking a whole pig, choose a bone-in hind quarter (ham part) and the ratio suggested is 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person. If well cooked, the meat will fall off the bone and can be shredded as pulled pork.

It could be that in other Latino countries the preparation itself of the roast pork might be called lechoncita. If so, I apologise for my ignorance.

I hope I helped somewhat? If not do a goggle for lechon asado and see what you come up with

Buena suerte!

Sonia wink.gif

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post
Yvette
post Sep 14 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

You seem to have a lot of knowledge on Cuban dishes. Im in search of a Salmon dish and have not had any luck thus far. In particular the one from Versailles restaurant in Los Angeles really impressed me and my boyfriend. Do you know of a good Cuban Salmon recipe? I would like to cook this dish for my boyfriend's birthday this week and running out of time since I have not found a recipe yet. Have you had dinner at Versailles? I beleive there is one in Miami. The Salmon is delicious. Also, how do you cook the Plaintains?
Thank You,
Yvette

QUOTE (foodiesleuth @ Jun 22 2005, 07:44 PM)
Hola;
I'm not quite sure what you mean by preparing Lechoncita.....the term lechon means pig or pork, lechoncita is a femenine diminutive.

Lechon Asado is the Cuban classic way of roasting a pig, in an open pit or else in a new contraption made especially for roasting the whole pig
http://www.asadorcubano.com/pages/2/index.htm

The Cuban method is traditionally cooking the whole pig, not just parts, though you could roast just parts.  For pulled pork, you could even prepare it as you would a Southern BBQ'd pork. What gives Cuban style lechon asado its unique flavor though is that it is basted with a mojo made with sour orange juice and plenty of garlic, oregano and some salt.

If sour oranges are not available in your area you can sub with half orange juice and half lime juice.

If you are planning on not cooking a whole pig, choose a bone-in hind quarter (ham part) and the ratio suggested is 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person.  If well cooked, the meat will fall off the bone and can be shredded as pulled pork.

It could be that in other Latino countries the preparation itself of the roast pork might be called lechoncita.  If so, I apologise for my ignorance.

I hope I helped somewhat?  If not do a goggle for lechon asado and see what you come up with

Buena suerte!

Sonia wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 09:22 PM

Site by restaurant website design