Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recipe for Arepas, Arepas using yellow cornmeal
Lesley
post Apr 9 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 58

smile.gif Does a recipe for Arepas using yellow cornmeal exist? Could someone help me. Muchas....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Apr 9 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Lesley @ Apr 9 2005, 06:53 AM)
smile.gif Does a recipe for Arepas using yellow cornmeal exist?  Could someone help me.  Muchas....

Hola Lesley;
Though the traditional arepas are made with white arepa meal I don't see why you can't use fine yellow cornmeal....In fact....If I remember correctly, years ago there was a street vendor that sold yellow cornmeal arepas during street festivals when I lived in Miami. You could take a good arepa recipe and just sub the white corn flour/meal for yellow.

Here is a really good recipe from the cookbook "Fiesta - a Celebration of Latin Hospitality" by Anya Von Bremzen

Arepas

2 cups milk
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
1-1/2 cups white arepa flour (masarepa or arepaharina) (*)
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup grated processed mozzarella cheese (**)
Vegetable oil for griddle
1-1/4 cup finely grated queso blanco (soft Hispanic white cheese-for serving)(***)
More butter - for serving

In a small saucepan bring 1-1/2 cups milk to a boil. Strain into a bowl to skim off the top and add the 4 tablespoons of butter. Let stand while preparing the next step.

In a large bowl, stir together the masarepa, salt, sugar and grated mozzarella. Make a well in the center and pour in the hot milk. Stir the masa and milk together until there are no lumps. Knead the mixture, sprinkling in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, until you have a smooth, sticky dough. About 5 minutes.

Roll out the dough into a 1/2 inch thick sheet between two pieces of wax paper. with a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out 3-inch circles. Reroll the scraps and cut out more circles. You should have 8.

Brush the griddle or a large cast-iron skillet lightly with the oil and preheat over medium-low heat. Fry as many arepas as will fit without crowding, until they are soft within and golden and slightly crusty on the outside, about 4 minutes per side.

Keep lifting the arepas from the skillet with a metal spatula or they will stick. Keep the finished ones in a warm oven until all are done.

To serve, spear a pat of butter with a fork and brush the arepas while hot. Immediately sprinkle them with a generous coating of grated queso blanco and serve. Yields 8 arepas.

(*) find in Hispanic Markets
(**) don't use fresh Italian mozzarella as the consistency is not the same)
(***) also called farmer's cheese sometimes
wink.gif Sonia

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post
Lesley
post Apr 10 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 58

QUOTE (Lesley @ Apr 9 2005, 07:53 AM)
smile.gif Does a recipe for Arepas using yellow cornmeal exist?  Could someone help me.  Muchas....

Thanks for the recipe - will try it. Lesley

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 03:18 AM

Site by restaurant website design