Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cuban finger foods, food for graduation
yuyi
post Mar 5 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

My daughter graduates in May, and she wants Cuban food for her party. This should be strictly finger foods . Any suggestions? We usually get lots of people, 100-150, but nobody eats very much, since there may be as many as five or six other parties that day. I thought lechon on rolls (Alas, no Cuban bread in Iowa!), but can't think of what else I could serve. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Mar 7 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Yuyi, if you can find a good recipe for Cuban tamales, you can make them finger food size. You can also serve platanos tachinos if you can get plantains in your area.....or 2 bite size empanadas de carne (con picadillo) -

How about small papas rellenas?

Is there a local bakery that can make you some rolls for bocaditos? I have a recipe if you can find someone to make them for you.

In the meantime, let me look through my cookbooks and see if I can find more items that are appropriate for finger foods.

Sonia

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post
yuyi
post Mar 10 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (yuyi @ Mar 5 2005, 04:08 PM)
My daughter graduates in May, and she wants Cuban food for her party.  This should be strictly finger foods .  Any suggestions? We usually get lots of people, 100-150, but nobody eats very much, since there may be as many as five or six other parties that day.  I thought lechon on rolls (Alas, no Cuban bread in Iowa!), but can't think of what else I could serve.  PLEASE HELP!!!!

+Quote Post
yuyi
post Mar 10 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Do you have a good recipe for the crispy empanadas? Seems like all the ones I find are soft ones. There is a good bakery nearby that might be willing to make me the rolls...or a recipe for Cuban bread??!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Mar 10 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

Hola Yuyi;

I live in Hawaii and there are NO Cuban bakeries anywhere near me, so I learned to improvise and use what is available to me here....

I make my own "crispy" pastelitos and empanadas using Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets. I package contains 2 sheets and makes 8 large ones or 18 small ones.

To make 8, cut each sheet in 4 squares - by making a large cross
To make 18, cut each sheet in 9 squares - like a tic tac toe game

Use a very sharp knife so that the pastry doesn't look jagged or pulls when you make the cuts.

Fill the center with a dab of filling (picadillo, guava paste, sweetened cream cheese, or whatever......)

Fold over in triangle shape and press the edges all around with a fork.

For savory ones, brush the tops with milk or egg wash
For sweet ones, brush the tops with a light sugar/water syrup

Bake until puffy and golden

Sonia

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:13 PM

Site by restaurant website design