Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Havana Nights Sweet Sixteen
gjerseygirl
post Feb 15 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

Hi. I'm a new member and love this site. Anyway, I've been browsing all the sites and came up with the Dirty Dancing - Havana Nights theme for my daughter's sweet sixteen. It's our favorite movie and we watch it at least twice a week! biggrin.gif

Some of the ideas I have already are, I'm going to buy a vintage cuban postcard, scan it and print out on card stock and those will be the invitations.

I found miniature silk areca plants (12") and will probably use those as the centerpieces. I will be giving out chocolate cigars. I may have a set of bongos on each table, not sure yet. I may do something with the straw hats, maracas and mojito glasses, just not sure what yet. I want to buy travel posters (about four) and have them on easels around the room. The tables will have province names instead of table numbers and I will scan a passport and those will be the seating cards. In other words, instead of, Tracy you are seated at table #3, it will look like a passport and say something like, Tracy Customs has cleared you, please proceed to Havana, and her table will have a big Havana sign on it.

My husband and I are also taking latin ballroom dancing so we might (if we are good enough) have a spotlight dance.

As everyone is coming in and being greeted, etc., we will have the DJ play the soundtrack from Havana Nights.

Here's my main question (there is a question in here somewhere).....I do want to have a balloon arch and balloons on the table. With all of the above decorations, what colors do you think the balloons should be. I guess I could say I'm going for a Havana nightclub type of theme so I was thinking black and red. (Also, if you've seen the move....the club they went to, La Rosa Negra, was all black and red).

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? Any other colors? Nothing above is set in stone. I still have months to plan the party. Thanks for any help and maybe someone could get some ideas from my suggestions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Mar 18 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

All of your ideas sound wonderful!

I love the idea of naming the tables by provinces....or even cities if you have too many tables for the 6 original provinces.

The Cuban colors are the same as the American flag....red, white and blue. I would go with those colors rather than the red and black (red and black are the revolutionary colors and many of your guests will not associate it with the movie, but with the revolution and won't appreciate it)

The idea of the passport is also fantastic.

You don't need help, dear.......you got it all mapped out perfectly!

Good luck and PLEASE let us know what you did and how you did it. I would really like to see it!

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Site by restaurant website design