Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need a recipe, Frijoles a la Menocal
Marie
post Jan 22 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 154

Hi everyone,

My grandmother used to make a black bean dish she called Frijoles a la Menocal. Has anyone heard of it? I have looked in several Cuban cookbooks but I have never come across anything like it.

I know she cooked the beans in red wine instead of water and she must have added some sugar because it was rather sweet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gracias!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foodiesleuth
post Mar 18 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 4

There are many styles of cooking Cuban black beans. It depends mostly on the taste of the cook. Some people prefer to use a dry white wine and others a red wine...still others use vinegar instead of wine.

The only diference in Frijoles Menocal and others as far as I have been able to find is that the sofrito calls for tomatoes.

Most cooks do add a little bit of sugar to the beans while cooking to counterbalance the acidity of the wine or vinegar.

Some people like their beans 'aguados' or with lots of broth and the whole beans floating in it. Others prefer the broth to be thicker and mash some of the cooked beans to help thicken the broth. Others prefer a 'potaje' and mash all the beans to make it very thick.

It is all in personal preference.

--------------------
Sonia
on an island...far away....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:56 AM

Site by restaurant website design